“Our well-rounded community includes five unique departments, a top-ranked graduate school, national research centers, and the largest undergraduate major at Vanderbilt…Peabody professors are well-known scholars and practitioners who actively mentor students. Our undergraduate, master’s, Ed.D., Ph.D., and professional development programs all attract people who share a deep concern for the human condition and education.”
Location: Nashville, TN
Size: 672 enrolled (full-time); 183 enrolled (part-time)
Director of Admissions: Kimberly Brazil Tanner
US News & World Report Rank: #1
Contact: 615-322-8410 (phone)
What is the average GRE score for applicants accepted to the Vanderbilt University Peabody College of Education & Human Development?
The average GRE verbal score of entering doctoral students at the Peabody College in 2011 was 162. The average GRE quantitative score for entering doctoral students in 2011 was 155.
Who are some prominent faculty at the Peabody College?
Thomas M. Smith researches improving teaching quality through an exploration of relationships between educational policy, school organization, teacher commitment, and classroom instruction.
Richard Lehrer researches mathematics and science education in elementary through middle school.
Douglas and Lynn Fuchs helped to develop responsiveness-to-intervention, a new approach for better identifying students with learning disabilities.
Stella M. Flores researches the impact of state and federal policies on college access and completion among underrepresented and low-income populations.
Donna Y. Ford investigates the achievement gap between black and white students in the United States.
What master’s programs are offered?
- Child Studies (Psychology and Human Development)
- Community Development and Action
- Education Policy
- Elementary Education (Degree plus Licensure)
- English Language Learners
- Health Professions Education (MHPE) Offered in partnership with the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
- Higher Education Administration
- Human Development Counseling, with specializations in School or Community counseling
- Human Resource Development (HRD will become part of the Leadership and Organizational Performance program in Fall 2011)
- International Education Policy and Management
- Leadership and Organizational Performance (beginning Fall 2011)
- Learning, Diversity, and Urban Studies
- Learning and Instruction
- Organizational Leadership (OL will become part of the Leadership and Organizational Performance program in Fall 2011)
- Reading Education
- Secondary Education (Degree plus Licensure)
- Special Education: Severe, Modified High Incidence, Behavior Analysis, and Visual Disabilities
- Teaching and Learning in Urban Schools
What Ph.D programs are offered?
HUMAN AND ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
LEADERSHIP, POLICY AND ORGANIZATIONS
- Leadership and Policy Studies with a specialization in K-12 Educational Leadership and Policy
- Leadership and Policy Studies with a specialization in Higher Education Leadership and Policy
- Leadership and Policy Studies with a specialization in International Education Policy and Management
- Psychological Sciences with a specialization in Clinical Science
- Psychological Sciences with a specialization in Cognitive Neuroscience
- Psychological Sciences with a specialization in Cognitive Science
- Psychological Sciences with a specialization in Developmental Science
- Psychological Sciences with a specialization in Neuroscience
- Psychological Sciences with a specialization in Quantitative Methods
- Early Childhood Special Education
- High Incidence Disabilities
- Learning Disabilities
- Low-Incidence Disabilities
- Severe and Multiple Disabilities
- Visual and Hearing Impairments
TEACHING & LEARNING
- Learning, Teaching and Diversity with a specialization in Development, Learning and Diversity
- Learning, Teaching and Diversity with a specialization in Language, Literacy and Culture
- Learning, Teaching and Diversity with a specialization in Mathematics and Science Education
- Learning, Teaching and Diversity with a specialization in Learning Science and Learning Environment Design
For a full list of programs, please visit the Peabody College website at http://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/.
Sources: US News & World Report ; http://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/